There are so many ways to make a meringue, like there are so many ways to say “I love you”. Whatever version you may choose, they always remain delicate, elegant, fragile, joyful….. and an extremely indulgent dessert. These mini meringues are not pavlovas, but still remain chewy on the inside.
- 4 big organic eggs
- 110 sugar
- 110g icing sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- juice from 1/2 natural lemon
- 5-6 passion fruits
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Separate the whites from the yolks and whisk the egg whites in a bowl on medium speed until they become quite fluffy.
- Add the sugar in small portions and the lemon juice and whisk into a stiff but smooth mixture.
- Now add the icing sugar gently in with a spoon, 1 spoon at a time.
- Place spoonfuls of meringue dough onto the baking sheets
- Bake at 120°C for the first 10 minutes, and then turn the heat to 100°C and bake for another 45 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the meringues cool. Serve with whipped cream or/and fruit. Passion fruit suits perfectly and gives a zesty contraposition to the sweetness of the meringues.
- Cut the passion fruits in half, spoon out the fruit center and garnish the meringues.