Oranges match perfectly with hazelnuts. The zesty orange flavor gives a subtle contrast to the sweet buttery taste of the hazelnuts, and the delicate Ligurian olive oil ties them together in this easy, delicious cake. It’s perfect for breakfast, as an afternoon snack with your tea or as dessert. For dessert add mascarpone or whipped cream if you wish.
- 100g hazelnuts (I use hazelnuts from Langhe, Piemonte when possible)
- 220g sugar
- 60ml milk
- 180ml Ligurian extra virgin olive oil, f.ex. Raineri extra virgin olive oil from taggiasca olives.
- 130g whole wheat flour
- 100g flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 30g dark chocolate
- 2-3 icing sugar to dust over the cake
- Ground the hazelnuts in a blender until finely chopped.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs into a thick mixture.
- Gradually add the milk, and then the olive oil.
- Sift the flour, baking powder into the batter with the salt.
- Chop he chocolate and mix gently into the dough together with the hazelnuts with a wooden spoon.
- Grease and line a 24cm springform tin with baking paper and pour in the batter.
- Bake the cake for 40 minutes at 180°C or until lightly golden. Insert a skewer into the cake to test if it’s ready. It should come out with loose crumbles attached to it. If you notice that it’s taking color too quickly cover delicately with aluminum foil.
- Let the cake cool for 15-20 minutes and then transfer to a serving plate.
Serve with these poached oranges on the side and some mascarpone blended with a spoonful of Maple syrup or acacia honey.