When I make those butter fried slices of bread for late Sunday breakfast or whenever I need extra sunshine into my morning, the lines from Richard Rodger’s score of “Oklahoma” automatically come to mind: “Oh, what a beautiful morning, oh, what a beautiful day”, and I feel like Gordon MacRae admiring the golden meadows on a super sunny day. That is what food can do to us. In addition to nurturing us, it takes our spirit on the most incredible “voyages”. Use the fruit you have in season for topping.
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- a generous knob of butter
- few drops vanilla extract or cinnamon
- 2 handfuls of strawberries or other fruit in season
- 1 cup ricotta (I prefer sheep ricotta)
- honey or maple syrup
It’s also great to smear in some orange marmalade and top with the ricotta
1. Whisk the milk together with the egg and vanilla extract or cinnamon in a bowl.
2. Soak the bread in the mixture and fry on both sides until lightly golden and crispy.
3. Top with the ricotta cheese, sliced strawberries and honey or maple syrup.