Lemon curd is a wonderful combination of North and Southern Europe cuisine. Butter & eggs meet Mediterranean lemons. Lemon curd is English of origin, and is an established spread for afternoon teatime onto scones and bread as for filling for cakes and pastry. This beautiful yellow cream is great onto cheesecake for a zesty contrast to the fatty cheese flavor, gorgious in French Lemon Pie, into morning yogurt, to fill your pancakes, and I love it with ladyfinger biscuits and a cup of ginger lemon tea.
- juice from 2 natural lemons
- zest from 1/2 a natural lemon
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 egg yolks
- Mix all ingredients in a glass bowl and put into a pot with 160 degrees hot water (use thermometer).
- Cook in bain marie stirring constantly. Let the mixture thicken to the point that it should stick to the back of the spoon.
- Pour the lemon curd into a heat proof glass jar and close. Refrigerate until cold. The curd keeps until 2 weeks in the fridge.